For more Information on Mental Illness, How to Cope, How to Help and When to Seek Treatment:
(These are my current go-tos but I will add to the list as I find more. Enjoy!)
- Help Guide – great overviews of stress, mental health and any related topics as well as ways of managing them
- Mayo Clinic – solid and helpful information on mental illness and medical conditions and treatments available
- National Alliance for Mental Illness – lots of information for persons and family
- Rethink Mental Illness – good information on mental illness
Information on Substance Abuse (Drugs):
- On the Wagon – great resource for information on drinking, drug use, types of drugs and how to get help
Information on Suicide:
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline – U.S.-based; Information for persons in crisis, struggling with suicidal thoughts or friends or family members of persons dealing with suicidal thoughts/urges
- Samaritans – U.K.-based; Information for persons in crisis, struggling with suicidal thoughts or friends or family members of persons dealing with suicidal thoughts/urges
- Wake Forest University – great resource for information on How to Identify Signs of Suicidality, Prevention, Intervention and Additional Info
- GET Self Help – great worksheets to help you understand what’s going on and tools to help you work through it.
- GSU Guided Relaxation Exercises and Meditations – a variety of relaxing exercises and mindfulness meditations with downloadable audio tracks (mp3) and printable copies.
- Gratitude Journal – a journal to take note of 5 things that went well each day. By focusing on the positive, we begin to see more positive things and feel more positive each day! It is a fun exercise to do on the worksheet provided in the link or in your own notebook. (*Mine is pink with flowers! :)*)
- Positive Steps to Wellbeing – a worksheet that outlines coping skills for managing stress and improving wellbeing.
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation is considered the most powerful relaxation exercise as it involves tensing and releasing of the different muscle groups in the body. This worksheet outlines a simple way for effective practice of this technique.
- Sleep Hygiene Worksheet – for a printable copy of tips to help you get a better night’s sleep. I also outline these tips in my post.
- STOPP Worksheet – A great overview of Cognitive Restructuring to help you respond to situations in a more balanced way by changing your thoughts.
- Drugs.com – awesome interaction checker for persons taking multiple medications
Reports about Cayman:
- Cayman National Drug Council – annual reports of student drug use in Cayman
- WHO AIMS Mental Health Services Report 2014 – WHO report of mental health services available in Cayman
- PAHO Adolescent Health and Sexuality Report – PAHO report on adolescent health and sexuality in Cayman
*For anonymous support 24/7 in Cayman call CICC Hotline at 943-2422*
**For emergencies Dial 911 or go to the emergency room for immediate assistance.**